Wednesday, August 28, 2013

22k(ilograms) for 22q

I mentioned a challenge in my last post.  I was hoping to pique some curiousity, but I'm going to need some help!  In order to make this challenge work, I need to spread the word!  Share this link with others and get them involved!

Some of you may have heard of the International 22q Foundation's 22k for 22q event.  The idea is that you run, walk, bike, or swim 22 kilometers to spread awareness and fundraise for 22q.  It's a great idea!  Sign up for a couple local races, or form a team and sign up for just 1 local race then add your kilometers together.  Wear a 22q shirt and get some pledges from friends and family.

I thought I'd do a spin on that.  22 *kilograms* for 22q.  What do I mean?  I mean let's all band together and support each other while we work towards making ourselves healthier.  In doing so, we make ourselves better equipped to face the challenges of raising a 22q child.  22 kilograms is about 48.5lbs.  I would love for a couple dedicated followers to join me in pledging to lose a combined 22 kilograms in the month of September.  If I get 10 people to do it, we only need to lose about 4.8lbs each!  Totally doable!  If you all spread the word and we get more people joining us, I might just get to add a zero to that number and make it 220 kilograms for 22q!  Wouldn't that be awesome?!

Here's how it will work.  If you're "in", if you want to do this, then reply to this blog post with the following:  My name is <name> and my starting weight is X.  *Everyone put X as your starting weight!*  Then each week on Monday we will report in with:  My name is <name> and my weight is X minus ___"  So if you lost 2lbs you'd say "X minus 2".  That way we're not ever saying our actual weights ;)

I'll tally it up each Tuesday and post the results for the week!  We can all encourage each other in the comments (trust me, I can be quite the cheerleader!)  If you found some new recipe you like post it!  If you decided to start working out, tell us about it!  Hopefully we'll all feed off the positive energy!

I've gotten a bit of a head start by finding some routes around my neighborhood that I can run or walk.  This is from a webpage called Map My Run which has lots of neat features that I'm still learning.


Here are some pictures from some recent runs or walks I've done too!




So, who's in?  Who wants to do this with me?  When's the last time you did something *for yourself* that also helped your family?  It's time to think about yourself and your own health, if you commit to it you'll find quickly that it's positive for everyone!

39 comments:

  1. My name is Becky Kane and my starting weight is X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Becky!!! I'm so excited you decided to join us! Jacob is on my mind often :)

      Delete
  2. My name is Dan Kane and my starting weight is X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan!! I feel like I "know" you through Becky :) Welcome!! Let's kick some kilograms!

      Delete
  3. My name is Courtenay Soutar and starting weight is X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Courtenay!! Any friend of Becky's is a friend of mine :) I'm so glad you joined us!

      Delete
  4. My name is Mike Soutar and my starting weight is X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike! It's so great to see Becky and Dan having a "fan club" joining them in this challenge!

      Delete
  5. My name is Katie Bartak and my starting weight is X and my husband Brian's starting weight is X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie and hi Brian! I love seeing couples doing challenges together! You can support each other and have a little friendly competition too. No fair tempting each other with treats!

      Delete
  6. My name is Julie Heyd and my starting weight is X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie! I'm so glad you decided to join us! What's your favorite activity?

      Delete
  7. My name is Tami Peterson and my starting weight is X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tami! This will be easier if we all stick together, I'm so glad you decided to join us!

      Delete
  8. My name in Michelle Breedlove Sells and my starting weight is X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle!!! I can never thank you enough for being such a wonderful person :) You joining my little group makes me happier than you can imagine!!

      Delete
  9. My name is Christy Satterfield and my starting weight is X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christy! I can't wait to see what we can do together, let's do this!!!

      Delete
  10. I love this idea! I'm in! So glad you were inspired by 22k for 22q! :) Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona! I'm so happy you like my blog! There's nothing special about it, it's just a real mom :) Welcome to the group!

      Delete
  11. My name is Rebecca Golden and my starting weight is X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca! I'm so happy you joined! Do you have any specific goals you want to meet? Welcome!

      Delete
  12. My name is Jim Block and my starting weight is X. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why hello Jim Block!! Looking forward to seeing your results :)

      Delete
  13. Sorry forgot to do this last week!!

    My name is Yavawn Channakhone and my starting weight is X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yavawn!! I'm so happy about Camdon's wonderful pulmonology appt today! What a wonderful belated birthday present for you :) I'm looking forward to seeing your results with this challenge!

      Delete
  14. Hi my name is Nahani Johnson and my starting weight is X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nahani! Welcome to the group!!

      Delete
    2. ty! i am doing different things than before - already seeing results. x - 2 lbs!
      Thanks for this blog and your mission. i have always struggled with weight loss because of the condition and also having scoliosis.... now i have fcbook support group for 22q and this... bless you!

      Delete
  15. My name is Becky Kane and weight is X - 2.4 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations Becky!!! 2.4lbs in a week is a perfect rate of loss, not too fast, not too slow. Hopefully that means you'll be able to keep it up :) Any tips to share with the rest of us?

      Delete
  16. My name is Dan Kane and weight is X - 5 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations Dan!!! So far you're the big winner this week :) 5lbs is a huge accomplishment! Please share with us what you did last week to see these results!

      Delete
  17. My name is Fiona and weight is X- 2.0 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Fiona!!! I'm so proud of you! Do you have any tips to share with the rest of us?

      Delete
  18. My name is Evangeline and my wieght is x-2.5!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My name is Jennifer (daughter, Robin, 19 years old with 22q deletion), and I've been looking for some motivation to lose some weight. Here I go ... my weight is X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Jennifer! I'm so glad you joined us! The rest of us are weighing in for week 3 on Monday, but don't worry about it, just jump right in and report in on Monday with wherever you are! Do you any thoughts on how you want to try to lose weight? Some food choice changes, some exercise, other lifestyle changes? Please share!

      Delete
    2. x-7 lbs ! just the few changes i've made have been huge... now to get the excercies in...

      Delete