Sunday, July 14, 2013

Let me tell you a little about my kids...

Ian is 8.  He's gifted, not just in the typical every-parent-thinks-their-kid-is-smart way, but in the "Mrs Block, we'd like you to consider grade skipping your son" way.  (we chose not to, for anyone who is interested)  Right now he's watching Myth Busters (again, he's seen every episode), earlier today he was watching the old Star Trek movies (The Search For Spock), just yesterday he was researching how fast impulse speed is.  Along with giftedness comes a little "weirdness".  And what a fun combination that is to try to parent!
There's a lot of sweetness in this child, along with his crazy smart brain!

Connor is 6.  He has 22q, but most people don't know a thing when they first meet him.  If he's wearing his hearing aids, they of course see that.  When he starts talking I sometimes get some raised eyebrows or sideways glances.  When they realize how old he is, that's when the questions usually start.  But often it doesn't get to that because Connor doesn't stay still long enough for anyone to notice.
See that "spark" in his eyes?  That is your warning!  There's a spit-fire personality here!

Gavin will be 4 this Fall.  He is as different from his brothers as he could possibly be.  Calm, quiet, he approaches life much slower and with much more caution.  He sleeps well, which is something his brothers still haven't mastered.  He thrives on one-on-one time, even if it's something as simple as grocery shopping!  And while at that grocery store if he asks for a donut, and I say no, he says "aw man!" and that's the end of it.  No crying.  No whining.  No tantruming.  (hmm, blogger is telling me that is spelled wrong, is it a made-up mommy-word?)
Calm, serene, cautious.  That is Gavin.  

These 3 boys are the light of my life and the reason for my exhaustion.  
Yep, no trouble makers here! 

Take today for example.  It's Sunday.  We usually go to church around 9am, eat breakfast at the cafe, go to the 10am service, wander around the connection center for a while after service, and make it home sometime after noon.  But today Connor's friend invited him to go swim at his grandma's house.  So a quick detour on the way to church to drop Connor off then we were on with our day.

And what a day!  After church and the requisite (and very necessary for me!) socializing we headed home.  I napped.  Ian watched some Star Trek.  Gavin played quietly with his trains.  Then Gavin napped.  Then I did some cleaning.  For a little while I sat in a lawn chair and watched Gavin play outside.  It was so wonderful!  No stress, most of the day I had no idea what time it was even.

Then Connor came home.  It was 9:30pm.  He came home exhausted!  And immediately started fighting with Gavin.  "No you didn't!"  "Yes you did!"  "Don't call me that!"  "I'm not sharing my pizza!"  "That's my water!"

DEFINITELY no trouble makers here!!

Let me be clear, Connor is a great kid, but the stage that he and Gavin are in is really difficult for both of them.  Gavin would like nothing better than to be an only child, to have his mommy to himself, to have hours every day to be alone playing with intricate toys.  It's just his personality.  Connor is like a mini tornado, running through life leaving a trail of devastation (and happiness, and giggles, and dozens of friends) behind.  He makes friends at Chick Fil-A play places and excitedly plans play dates 5 minutes after meeting them.  He rides his bike recklessly (and falls and leaves skin behind but could care less!).  Toys are not safe in his presence, pieces are lost, hinges are broken, wheels inexplicably fall off.  As you can guess, those two personality types tend to clash once in a while.

Not surprisingly, I decided that a nice couple miles on the elliptical are in my future tonight.  It's late, I know, but I enjoyed a lazy day, so I better hit up the elliptical and sweat away the frustrations of my 3 crazy kids!



All photos courtesy of Winter-Freire Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment